Inside the Fort San Domingo site is the 1891 Former British Consular Residence, an elegant red-brick Victorian-style house, complete with furnishings re-created from photographic records. The consulate was closed in Japanese times, then reopened after WWII until 1972 when Britain closed it down. London has recognised the PRC since 1950. The residence is a western building that was the third consular residence (also the last one) built by Great Britain in Taiwan. The graceful building was designed by the British and built by Chinese craftsmen. The walls used Chinese red bricks and there is a Min-Nan red-tile roof, giving the…

Ten years in the planning, this 57-hectare nature reserve opened in 2001 under the control of the Wild Bird Society of Taipei. There's a visitor centre and good trails and hides, as well as over 200 species of birds, 150 species of plants and 800 species of animals. It's a 15-minute walk from Guandu MRT, or take the R35 bus from outside the station. The landscape consists of a mosaic of freshwater and brackish ponds, mudflats, marsh, rice paddies, and woodland, in which inhabits a rich variety of organisms. The mission of this park is to protect these valuable natural…

This fairly bleak concrete square, with two brick buildings (remnants of former factory buildings) at the northern end – one is a restaurant, the other a toilet block – is set aside for Taiwan's youth culture. The sole highlight is the funky and imaginative dreamscapes of graffiti on the back wall and extending into the lanes east of the park. Come here on a weekend and you are likely to find kids dancing to music and ad hoc flea markets. Here are introduction of every section to Taipei Cinema Park: Art Plaza: Covering a total area of over 1,980 square…

For 26 years, this two-story mansion and its gardens were part of the official residence of Chiang Kai-shek and his wife Soong Mei-ling. There are over 100 species of 1000 roses in the garden. Beside the rose garden, there are western, Chinese, ecological, and herb gardens, giving such a variety to enjoy! With the different seasons, flower exhibitions are offered, such as tulips and chrysanthemum. Today the entire estate is a lovely public park and even the house itself is open, though it merely displays the rather humdrum domestic life, and middlebrow tastes, of the Chiangs. The free audio guide…

Tamsui's most famous sight is Fort San Domingo. The original fort, built in 1628 during the Spanish occupation of Taiwan (1626–41), was dismantled by the Spanish before they left. The 13m-high structure seen today is the Fort Anthonio built by the Dutch in 1644. These days the original Spanish name is used, though to locals it's still the Red Haired Fortress (a reference to the color of Dutch hair). The fort was under Chinese control from 1683 to 1868 when the British leased it, painted it red and made it their consulate. Note there is a small Tourist Information Office…

Aletheia University, located next to Fort San Domingo, the first Western university in Taiwan, founded by George Leslie Mackay. The university's original building, Oxford College, was built in 1882 and fronts a Chinese-style pond and a large, more recent chapel. The university still operates as a centre of learning, so visitors are only allowed to wander the grounds and buildings at opening hours.     If you ask me where is the most beautiful university in Taipei, I will absolutely tell you Aletheia University without hesitation. It's  beautiful everywhere, Especially the chapel, which exterior appearance adopted Gothic architecture, interior with conventional design.…

Puppetry Art Center of Taipei was born from a passion for the art of puppetry. In 1998, Lin Ching-fu, chairman of the Taiyuan Arts and Culture Foundation, donated his personal collection of puppets, which he had gathered over several decades, to the Taipei City Government, in the hope of establishing a venue where these puppets could be preserved and exhibited in perpetuity. On August 7, 2004, the brand new Puppetry Art Center of Taipei, dedicated exclusively to the display, performance, teaching, and collection of puppets and puppetry, was opened next to the CPCity Living Mall, the biggest shopping mall in…

Taipei Expo Park is composed of the Yuanshan Park, the Arts Park and the Xinsheng Park in the four major exhibition areas of the 2010 Taipei International Flower Expo. Taipei Expo Park is used as a general park on weekdays and the original Taipei Expo Exhibition Hall is used as a venue for various events. Yuanshan Park has a lively outdoor food court (Maji Square) and the Eco Ark (a giant structure made of recycled bottles, which frequently hosts free exhibitions).The park also known as Zhongshan No. 1 Park.It is planned as a children's amusement park. Its main uses and…

Built in 1965 to commemorate the centennial birthday of Sun Yat-sen, this hall a very ornate building and the interior is lavish. It's about a three-minute walk back down the road from the 7-11 by Yangmingshan Bus Station. Entrance is on a Chinese-language tour at fixed times (9am, 10am, 1.30pm and 3pm). Chungshan Hall which is located in sulfur area. The heat of Geothermal was really intense. Besides, the soil was with unevenly hardness. It was mixed with soft soil and hard stones. At the time, the construction machinery was simple and rude.It multiplied the difficulties of the construction work. The duration…

Built in 1913 as the Beitou Public Baths, this handsome building is a copy of the bathhouses in Shizuokaken Idouyama in Japan. Beitou Public Baths, which was the largest bathhouse in East Asia at that time, was built by Daikichi Imura, the magistrate of Taipei Prefecture under Japanese Colonial Government. After World War II, the Beitou Public Bathhouse was abandoned due to constantly changing institutions in charge. The design of the bathhouse was based on the Mount Izu Hot Spring Bathhouse in Japan. It is also a good example of the turn-of-the century fascination among Japanese architects for blending Eastern and Western…