Tamsui’s most famous sight is Fort San Domingo. The original fort, built in 1628 during the Spanish occupation of Taiwan (1626–41), was dismantled by the Spanish before they left. The 13m-high structure seen today is the Fort Anthonio built by the Dutch in 1644. These days the original Spanish name is used, though to locals it’s still the Red Haired Fortress (a reference to the color of Dutch hair).
The fort was under Chinese control from 1683 to 1868 when the British leased it, painted it red and made it their consulate. Note there is a small Tourist Information Office here.
The site of Fort San Domingo includes the main fortress, the former British consul’s residence, and the south gate built during Qing dynasty. Among the architectures, the main fortress is one of the oldest buildings on the whole island, and there were four cannons placed in the front of the fortress, which could be traced back to Jiaqing era. The former British consul’s residence is on the east side of the main fortress, and is a two-storied English-style building. The south gate is the only Chinese style architecture among all the buildings, and is made from Guangin Stones.Fort Dan Domingo is located near Hobe Fort, which was built during the late Qing era.
The admission fee includes entry to Hobe Fort and the Customs Officer’s Residence.
Fort San Domingo
[紅毛城/Hóng Maó Chéng]
-Located in: Northern Taiwan
-County: New Taipei City
-Features: Museum, Exhibitions, Historical Site, Scenic Spots
-Highly recommend to: History Buffs
-Opening Hours: 9:30am – 10pm (After 6pm; only outdoor garden and coffee garden are open to the public) Tuesday to Sunday.
Ticketing: TWD 60 (Adults)/40 (Students/Groups with more than 20 people)
-Address: No. 1, Ln. 28, Zhongzheng Rd., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan
Editor : John@ReadyGo
Thanks to Lonely Planet for the content sharing.