Learn the History of Tamsui(淡水):Places You Must Visit in Tamsui

Tamsui(淡水) is a town full of history. Opened in 1858, Tamsui was the port which was first developed in northern Taiwan. Tamsui used to be called Huwei. It is a derivation from the ancient tongue “Hoba.” It means the river outlet. Surrounded by mountains and rivers, the scenery in Tamsui is beautiful.

即刻加入ReadyGo官方[email protected],獲得第一手旅遊資訊與優惠折扣 加入好友

It’s said that when travel in a city or a town, you must understand the history first. There is a list that show you the museums in Tamsui. Hope you can understand Tamsui well then enjoy the leisure atmosphere in Tamsui. 

Shihsanhang Museum of Archaeology(十三行博物館)

Resources

Resources

To save northern Taiwan’s artifacts from between prehistoric times and the iron age, Shihsanhang Museum of Archaeology(十三行博物館) was established in 1989 on an important archaeological site in northern Taiwan. It’s the island first museum to focus on archaeology. This museum is a treasure for Taiwan. It records the history of ancient Taiwanese. The special and fascinating appearance is the symbol of the underground treasure trove. The sloping archaeological octagonal tower symbolizes the ruins and the historical truth that cannot be recovered. Although history cannot be recovered, we can save and restore it as much as possible.

-Contacts:+8862-26191313
-Opening Hours:09:30-17:00
-Tickets:NT$80
-Address:
No.200, Museum Rd., Bali Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan

Tamsui Historical Museum(淡水古蹟博物館)

Resource : Tamsui Historical Museum

Since ancient times Tamsui has been a major economic hub and a region heavily fought over. This led to many immigrants and the diversity they bring. Established in 2005, Tamsui Historical Museum displays their cultural contributions along with the rich ecological resources in the area. It’s one of the facilities that add cultural and historical depth to a visit.
Reference : Tamsui Historical Museum

-Contacts:+8862-26212830
-Opening Hours:09:30-17:00/Weekends 09:30-18:00
-Tickets:NT$80
-Address:
No.32-2, Ln. 6, Sect. 1, Zhongzheng Rd., Danshui Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan

Fort San Domingo(紅毛城)

Resource : Tourism Bureau, Republic of China (Taiwan)

Fort San Domingo, with a history of more than 300 years, is the most prominent monument to foreign involvement in Taiwan. First built in 1629 by the Spanish, Fort San Domingo was intended to aid the imposition of Spanish rule over the local Chinese and aboriginal populations in northern Taiwan. This fort was captured by the Dutch in 1642 when they drove the Spanish from the island. They replaced the Spanish-built stockade with a fort made of stone. The fort became known as the “Hongmao Castle” (Fort of the Red Heads) in reference to the colorful locks of its Dutch occupants.
Reference : Tourism Bureau, Republic of China (Taiwan)

-Contacts:+8862-26231001
-Opening Hours:09:30-17:00/Weekends 09:30-18:00
-Tickets:NT$80
-Address:
No.1, Ln. 28, Zhongzheng Rd., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan

Tamsui Customs Officer’s Residence (Little White House)(小白宮/前清淡水關稅務司官邸)

Resource : Tamsui Historical Museum

In 1858, following the Second Opium War, Taiwan was forced to open its ports for trade under the Beijing and the Tienjin Treaties. 4 years later, a customs office was established in Tamsui following the opening of Tamsui Port. For foreign customs officers living, Tamsui Customs administration purchased a piece of land in 1866 and subsequently built official staff residences in 1869. 

The building has a square layout and a splendid view of the Tamsui River and Mt. Guanyin. The foundation of the building is elevated 3 feet high, which allows humidity to be carried away through the square-shaped ventilation holes by the flowing breeze. The structure is a classic colonial-style building known as a “bungalow.” It was nicknamed “Xiao Bai Gong,” meaning “Little White House” due to its ash-white appearance. It features ash-white outer walls, a terrace with a magnificent view, a veranda with arched columns, and a vintage fireplace.
Reference : Tamsui Historical Museum

-Contacts:+8862-26282865
-Opening Hours:09:30-17:00/Weekends 09:30-18:00
-Tickets:NT$80
-Address:
No.15, Zhenli St., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan

Drop of Water Memorial Hall(一滴水紀念館)

Resources

The Drop of Water Memorial Hall is significant for its transport from Japan and rebuilding on Taiwanese soil. The century-old building was donated by Kobe’s Mikura neighborhood to thank Taiwan for its assistance after the Great Hanshin Earthquake and to encourage Taiwan to recover form its own great disaster, the 921 Earthquake.
Reference : New Taipei City

-Contacts:+8862-26263350
-Opening Hours:09:300-17:00(Closed on Mon.)
-Address:
No.30, Ln. 6, Sect. 1, Zhongzheng Rd., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan

Editor : [email protected]

想知道更多優惠好康 加入ReadyGo [email protected]
更多精選住宿美食 追蹤ReadyGo FB
第一手旅遊資訊 追蹤ReadyGo IG

相關文章